Friday, March 23, 2012

"For" and "Since"

1.        We've been fishing . . . two hours.

2.       I've been working in this office . . . a month.

3.       They've been living in France . . . 1970.

4.       He has been in prison . . . a year.

5.       I've known that . . . a long time.

6.       That man has been standing there . . . six o'clock.

7.       She has driven the same car . . . 1975.

8.       Things have changed . . . I was a girl.

9.       The kettle has been boiling . . . a quarter of an hour.

10.   The central heating has been on . . . October.

11.   That trunk has been in the hall . . . a year.

12.   He has been very ill . . . the last month.

13.   I've been using this machine . . . twelve years.

14.   We've been waiting . . . half an hour.

15.   Mr. Jones has been in hospital . . . his accident.

16.    He hasn't spoken to me . . . the last committee meeting.

 17 I have been very patient with you . . . several years.
18 They have been on strike . . . November.
19 The strike has lasted . . . six months.
20 It has been very foggy . . . early morning.
21 They have been quarrelling ever . . . they got married.
22 I've been awake . . . four o'clock.
23 I've been awake . . . a long time.
24 We've had no gas . . . the strike began.
25 I've earned my own living . . . I left school.
26 Nobody has seen him . . . last week.
27 The police have been looking for me . . . four days.
28 I haven't worn low-heeled shoes . . . I was at school.
29 He had a bad fall last week and . . . then he hasn't left the house.
30 He has been under water . . . half an hour.
31 That tree has been there . . . 2,000 years.
32 He has been Minister of Education . . . 1983.
33 I've been trying to open this door . . . forty-five minutes.
34 He hasn't eaten anything . . . twenty-four hours.
35 We've had terrible weather . . . the last month.
36 Nobody has come to see us . . . we bought these bloodhounds.