Friday, March 23, 2012

Present Perfect or Past Simple

1.      This is my house. ~             
How long you (live) here? ~ I (live) here since 1970.

2.       He (live) in London for two years and then (go) to Edinburgh.

3.       You (wear) your hair long when you were at school? ~
Yes, my mother (insist) on it.

4.       But when I (leave) school I (cut) my hair and (wear) it short ever since.

5.       Shakespeare (write) a lot of plays.


6.       My brother (write) several plays. He just (finish) his second tragedy.

7.       I (fly) over Loch Ness last week. ~
You (see) the Loch Ness monster?

8.       I (not see) him for three years. I wonder where he is.

9.       He (not smoke) for two weeks. He is trying to give it up.


10.   Chopin (compose) some of his music in Majorca.

11.   When he (arrive)? ~
He (arrive) at 2.00.

12.   You (lock) the door before you left the house?

13.   I (read) his books when I was at school. I (enjoy) them very much.


14.   I can't go out because I (not finish) my work.

15.   I never (drink) whisky. ~
Well, have some now.

16.   I (write) the letter but I can't find a stamp.

17.   The clock is slow. ~
It isn't slow, it (stop).

18.   Here are your shoes; I just (clean) them.

19.   I (leave) home at 8.00 and (get) here at twelve.


20.   I (do) this sort of work when I (be) an apprentice.

21.   He just (go) out.

22.   He (go) out ten minutes ago.

23.   You (have) breakfast yet? ~
Yes, I (have) it at 8.00.

24.   I (meet) him last June.

25.   You (see) the moon last night?

26.   The concert (begin) at 2.30 and (last) for two hours. Everyone (enjoy) it very much.


27.   The play just (begin). You are a little late.

28.   The newspaper (come)? ~
Yes, Ann is reading it.

29.   The actors (arrive) yesterday and (start) rehearsals early this morning.

30.   It (be) very cold this year. I wonder when it is going to get warmer.

31.   Cervantes (write) Don Quixote.

32.   We (miss) the bus. Now we'll have to walk.


33.   He (break) his leg in a skiing accident last year.

34.   Mr Pound is the bank manager. He (be) here for five years.


35.   Mr Count (work) as a cashier for twenty-five years. Then he (retire) and (go) to live in the country.

36.   You (be) here before? ~
Yes, I (spend) my holidays here last year. ~
You (have) a good time? ~