Thursday, September 9, 2021

Two Strangers at an Airport

 Frank yawned. His flight wasn't for another two hours, and the wait was driving him crazy. It wasn’t easy waiting for a flight; airports aren’t the most interesting places in the world and there isn’t much to do.

 

He yawned again, and this time he felt time go by slower than ever. His trip to America seemed so distant. New York seemed to be light years away from him ...

 

He saw a girl walk by. Was it love at first sight?

 

The girl was tall and slender, with long black hair and brown eyes. She had a curious smile on her face as she looked around her. She seemed to be looking for something, but Frank didn't know what. She carried a small suitcase and a purse in one hand, and in the other hand she had her cell phone.

 

Frank almost yelled for her to stop. The beautiful girl was going to walk past without even looking at it. It was a tragedy.

 

Until, suddenly and without provocation, the girl asked him a question that would change everything.

 

"Where can I charge this phone?" she sighed. Apparently, she didn’t have her charger. Frank looked down, and then back at the girl. Our phones are the same brand, he thought. She can charge it with my charger!

 

Trying to act cool and calm, Frank raised his voice and spoke to her.

"I have a charger if you're interested."

 

The girl turned to Frank and nodded amiably.

 

"Yes, oh my God, I really need one, thank you!" she said in a cheerful voice, and sat down next to him. Frank felt nervous. He took his charger out of his bag without dropping it. His hands were shaking nervously.

 

The girl connected her phone into the charger, then plugged the charger into the wall socket.

 

"Does it work?" Frank asked, admiring the girl without her noticing.

 

"Yes!"

 

A few seconds of silence passed, and Frank got the nerve to talk to her.

 

"Where are you going?" She will surely be meeting her handsome and wealthy boyfriend, Frank thought.

 

“Ah, well I am heading to the United States. I'm touring America to post on my travel blog!”

 

Frank felt his heart melt.

 

"What a coincidence," he managed to say, "I'm going to the United States, too," he said with a nervous laugh. "New York City, to be exact," he added.

 

"Seriously? Me too!"

 

Frank couldn’t believe his luck. Without knowing why, he held out his hand. They shook hands.

 

"I'm Frank, nice to meet you."

 

"Kate, a pleasure." The girl finally had a name. It was a nice name, very pretty.

 

"What will you do in the Big Apple?" asked a curious Frank. "Do you have plans?"

 

"Well, yes, of course. I'm going to visit the Empire State Building, take a selfie in Times Square, and I also want to visit Central Park."

 

Frank tried not to show his amazement. It was exactly what he wanted to do. Of course, it was exactly what every tourist in New York wants to do.

 

“Ok, we have very similar plans, Kate. Tell me, why do you do for a living?"  (Or “What do you do?”)

 

Kate looked at him strangely. The topic had jumped from one extreme to the other, but she still she answered him.

 

“Well, I'm a writer and also a web designer. As I said, I have a travel blog,” Kate said. “What do you do?”

 

Frank wanted to lie to sound more interesting, but he knew that lying was never a good idea, and certainly not with a girl he liked.

 

“I am a business administrator. Although I work with many big companies, I would trade my boring job for yours. It sounds very interesting.”

 

The girl smiled and shook her head.

 

“Sometimes it is better to have a normal job. Sometimes my job can be very difficult.”

 

Finally, Kate asked, "When is your flight?"

 

Frank looked at his watch. The conversation had managed to distract him a while.

 

"In an hour and a half. And yours?"

 

Kate looked at her watch as well.

 

“Now that I think about it, it's the same flight!"

 

Frank tried not to show his emotion.

 

"I suppose so," Frank said, trying not to sound too excited. He changed the subject again. "Why are you traveling alone?"

 

Kate suddenly looked very unhappy and annoyed.

 

"The plan was to come with my boyfriend," she said, and Frank was seized by a sudden sadness, “but the idiot forgot my birthday so I broke up with him.”

 

Frank’s heart was beating hard. I have a chance, he thought.

 

"And you, why are you traveling alone?” she asked him.

 

“My girlfriend went to prison. She robbed the Valencia Art Gallery. You may have read about her in the newspaper. Her name is Hanna Black.”

 

The girl looked at him curiously, but she didn't ask anything. Then she changed the subject.

 

"And what will you do there? Are you planning to go other parts of the city? " Kate was already asking, not just answering. It was a good sign.

 

“Well, I want to go to music clubs, to the theater, in addition to the places that you also mentioned. I want it to be an unforgettable experience."

 

Kate looked thoughtful as she looked towards the boarding gate.

 

“We just met, but could you help me write my blog? I think you will have some interesting stories for my readers.”

 

Frank's heart was beating faster now.

 

"And how do you want me to do that, Miss Kate?"

 

"You could tell me about your experiences in a few days, after you have walked around the city. That would be good."

 

So, we will see each other again? Frank wondered excitedly. Apparently we will!

 

"Of course," he said without showing emotion. "I'd love to."

It wasn't long before they started calling the passengers of the flight, and the two travelers said goodbye with a smile.

 

“I’ll see you in New York,” Kate said.

 

“Yes, see you there.”

 

Then something really incredible happened. When Frank finally got to his seat on the plane, guess who was sitting next to him on the flight? No, it wasn’t Barack Obama, it was his new friend, Kate. She didn’t see him because she was writing in her notebook. When she finally looked up and saw that Frank was sitting next to her, she laughed out loud.

 

“I think something special is happening between us,” she said.

 

Two years later…

Kate looked at Frank and put her hand over his. They were on the balcony of an apartment with a beautiful view facing the sea. They lived on the coast of the beautiful Mediterranean Sea in Valencia. Now they both wrote the travel blog and they traveled all over the world, but they were always happiest at home in Valencia.

 


 

Questions

   1) How long did Frank have to wait for his flight to leave?

a) Six hours

b) Thirty minutes

c) One hour

d) Two hours

    2) What color were Kate's eyes?

a) Brown

b) Blue

c) Greens

d) Blacks

    3) Where did Kate want to take a selfie?

a) At the Empire State

b) On the site where the Twin Towers were

c) Central Park

d) Times Square

    4) What happened to Kate's boyfriend?

a) He did not want to travel with her

b) she was working

c) he cheated on her

d) None of the above

    5) Where was Frank and Kate's apartment?

a) Facing the sea

b) In front of the Statue of Liberty

c) Near Central Park

d) At the Empire State