Sunday, February 19, 2012

Some and Any

 (I agree with this):

Some
 Used to show an indefinite quantity (the exact number is not important) and in affirmative statements.

Example:
I have some books.
She wants some apples. 

(I don't agree with this):

   Used in questions, but only when you think the answer will be 'Yes'.

Example:
Do you have some paper?
(I hope the answer will be 'Yes')
Would you like some french fries? ( I expect the answer will be 'Yes')



 ( I agree with this rule): 

Any
 Used in negative statements. 

Example:
I don't have any money.
There aren't any taxis near here.

I don't agree with this "rule" at all. It makes no sense to my ears:

 Used in questions, especially when we expect the answer will be 'No'.
Example:
Do you have any paper?
(I expect the answer will probably be 'No')
Is there any time to go to the doctor's?
( I think there probably isn't time).



1. Fred is very busy : he doesn't have time.
2. Let's listen to music and watch the stars in the sky!
3. We need butter and bread for dinner.
4. I have very old books! do you want to see them?
5. Rachel meets friends at the weekend.
6. Do you have orange juice ? I don't see it in the fridge.
7. No, I don't ! But I have grapefruit if you want !
8. Do you want ? ...Oh yes please.
9. Silly boys! They went to town without money ! 



  • anyone
  • anywhere
  • anything
  • any
  • someone
  • somewhere
  • something
  • some

  • 1) I'm not hungry. I don’t want to eat.Correct!
  • 2) If has a question please ask me tomorrow. Correct!
  • 3) Yesterday we bought flowers for our teacher.Correct!
  • 4) Does fun ever happen in Cape Town?Correct!
  • 5) I heard a knock, is at the door.Correct!
  • 6) We didn’t go this holiday, we just stayed at home.Correct!
  • 7) You must be thirsty! Would you like water?Correct!
  • 8) What do you want to do tonight? We can do , I don’t mind. Correct!
  • 9) Why do you look so sad? Did bad happen?Correct!
  • 10) They’ve recently discovered ancient human bones in Southern Africa.

  • We will have ___ news soon.

  • Would you like ___ breakfast?

  • There is not ___ rain in summer.

  • Can I have ___ coffee?

  • I think I will have ___ toast.

  • Do you have ___ pets?

  • She had ___ good ideas.

  • He does not have ___ patience.




    Here is one discussion of the use of "any" ans "some":
    On an English test my son wrote, " Do you have some books?". It was marked wrong. The answer was "Do you have any books?" Both sentences sound natural. Are there no instances when the first sentence can be used?


    The answer to this question shouldn't be as difficult as it seems to be. It seems that some is used in so-called assertive sentences, as in "He has some books," and we are more apt to find any in so-called non-assertive sentences (questions and negations), as in "He didn't have any books" or "Do you have any books?" However, if the speaker or writer of a question has a strong reason to believe that the answer to a question will be yes, he can ask for such a simple confirmation using some instead of any. This is especially true when we make an offer of something (with good reason to think that the answer will be yes, I'll have some of that): "Would you like some pancakes this morning?" In short, although the word any is far more apt to appear in that sentence, I certainly would not say your son's sentence is incorrect. For instance, what if I pick up a friend's suitcase, and it seems to be very heavy. I might well ask, "Do you have some books [in there]?"

    My personal feelings are that OF COURSE you can ask someone, "Do you have some money?" It would be absurdly pedantic and petty to say this is incorrect. It is such an incredibly minor point of "grammar"as to not really matter much to anyone but ridiculous grammar Nazis who are more interested in being right than they are with human communication. I tend to side with communication.