Friday, February 10, 2012

To Be Used To / To Get Used to


Usamos 'used to' para algo que pasaba en el pasado pero ya no.

  • Ben used to travel a lot in his job but now, since his promotion, he doesn't.
  • I used to drive to work but now I take the bus.
  • I used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day but I stopped two years ago.

También para algo que era verdad pero ya no.

  • There used to be a cinema in the town but now there isn't.
  • She used to have really long hair but she's had it all cut off.
  • I didn't use to like him but now I do.

Usamos 'to be used to doing' para decir acostumbrarse, algo normal.

  • I'm used to living on my own. I've done it for quite a long time.
  • Hans has lived in England for over a year so he is used to driving on the left now.
  • They've always lived in hot countries so they aren't used to the cold weather here.


From Wordreference.com:

(accustomed) (pred) to be ~ TO sth/-ING - estar acostumbrado a algo/+ inf ;

I'm not used to this heat/getting up early - no estoy acostumbrado a tanto calor/a madrugar;
to get used TO sth/-ING acostumbrarse a algo/+ inf ;
I got used to him - me acostumbré a él;
I got used to the idea - me hice a la idea

to (+ INF): there used to be a shop next door - antes había una tienda al lado;
things aren't what they used to be (set phrase)-  las cosas ya no son lo que eran;
I used to work in that shop (antes)-  trabajaba en esa tienda;
Do you play chess? — I used to - ¿juegas al ajedrez? — antes solía jugar or ya no;


To be used to - estar acostumbrado a

·  We were used to the sunny weather of the coast.
Estábamos acostumbrados al clima soleado de la costa.
·  Joan is used to dealing with children.
Joan está acostumbrada a tratar con niños.
·  Mr. Jones wasn't used to all that luxury.
El señor Jones no estaba acostumbrado a todo ese lujo.
·  They must be used to their noisy neighbours.
Deben de estar acostumbrados a sus vecinos ruidosos.
·  I am not used to travelling by plane.
No estoy acostumbrado a viajar en avión.

To get used to - acostumbrarse a (si sigue verbo, es un gerundio)
 
·  People get used to new technologies.
La gente se acostumbra a las nuevas tecnologías.
·  Paul never got used to living in the country.
Paul nunca se acostumbró a vivir en el campo.
·  I was getting used to working with Michael.
Me estaba acostumbrando a trabajar con Michael.
·  We had got used to having you around.
Nos habíamos acostumbrado a tenerte por aquí.
·  I will never get used to getting up early.
Nunca me voy a acostumbrar a levantarme temprano.
 

Curso de ingles gratis

Tuesday, May 9

El uso de 'be used to' y 'get used to' en inglés


Cuando se usa be used to en inglés significa estar acostumbrado hacer algo.

Se forma: el verbo to be + used to + verbo con ing (el gerundio)

ejemplos:

I am used to getting up early. Estoy acostumbrado a levantarme temprano.

He is used to working on Saturdays.
El esta acostumbrado a trabajar los sabados

We are used to travelling by bus. Nosotros estamos acostumbrado a viajar en autobus.


Cuando se usa get used to en inglés significa acostumbrarse a hacer algo.

Se forma: el sujeto + el verbo to be + get used to + el verbo con ing (el gerundio)

ejemplos:

I am getting used to working in an office.
Me estoy acostumbrando a trabajar en una oficina.

She is getting used to living in a city. Ella se esta acostumbrando a vivir en una ciudad.

They are getting used to studying everyday. Ellos se estan acostumbrando a estudiar todos los dias.

Tips (consejos)

Recuerde be used to y get used to usan el gerundio (el verbo + ing) y refirieren al presente mientras used to usa el infinitivo y refiere al pasado. Para mas información sobre used to haga click aqui

ejemplos:

I used to work in an office - solia trabajar en una oficina.

I am used to working in an office. Estoy acostumbrado a trabajar en una oficina.

Tambien se puede usar get used to + ing con otros tiempos en inglés.

ejemplos:

I will have to get used to getting up early. Tendré que acostumbrame a levantarme temprano.

I had to get used to getting up early. Tuve que acostumbrame a levantarme temprano.

I got used to getting up early. Me acostumbré a levantarme temprano.