Friday, October 10, 2014

Ruzafa: The Center of the Known Universe



My neighborhood is a great place to live. There are lots of bike paths and several stations for Valenbisi where you can borrow a bike. Ruzafa is an old part of Valencia with lots of cool restaurants and shops. Most of the buildings are old but restored. Ruzafa is very chic (it is very trendy). The streets are narrow and the sidewalks are wide. Ruzafa is a good place to walk or ride a bike.

There are many cafés in the neighborhood so you can sit down and have a cup of coffee, a bottle of beer, or a glass of juice. Valencia is famous for oranges so the orange juice here is very good. 

Valencia is also famous for the festival of Fallas. This is a huge (big, large, enormous, gigantic) festival that takes place in March every year. Ruzafa is one of the main (principal, chief) areas in Valencia for Fallas and thousands of tourists walk around the streets and take pictures.

I like to go to the library and find new books to read. At the library you can borrow books and take them home to read. Valencia has a beautiful, old library that used to be a hospital. There is also a small library in my neighborhood of Ruzafa.
My neighborhood has a big market. People go to the market to buy all kinds (types, varieties) of food. There are many little stalls that sell fruits and vegetables, meat, fish, bread, eggs, olives, and every type of food you can imagine. The market is busy every day except Sunday because it is closed. The Ruzafa Market is the center of the neighborhood. It is near the old church of San Valero. You can hear the bells of the church every hour during the day. 

Why I Love Summer

I love summer for many reasons. The summer is very hot and I can go to the beach and swim. I live in Valencia, Spain and we have lots of great beaches. In the city we have a big beach called the Malva-Rosa. I can go to this beach on the city bus, take the metro, or I can ride my bike. At the beach I can swim or play volleyball. I can read a book. At the end of the day I take a shower and go home.

The best thing about summer is that I don’t have to go to school. We have vacation from the beginning of June until the end of August. We have about three months of vacation. I don’t have to wake up early to go to school and I don’t have homework in the evening. During the day I can hang out with my friends. We go to the center or we go shopping at El Saler. Sometimes we go to the cinema to see a new movie.

Path, trail – sendero  bike path – carril bici
Narrow - estrecho
Wide - ancho
To Borrow – pedir prestado
Stall -  puesto